Friday, November 14, 2008

Bah! Humbug???

I cannot believe this! The two people I live with actually made the preposterous suggestion that, merely because I will not be home for a week at Christmas time we should not decorate the house for Christmas! What a HORRIBLE thought! Simply one person missing for the week of Christmas is no excuse for NOT DECORATING! That is almost like canceling Christmas completely!!!

Okay, I will agree to not going to the mountains to cut down a real Christmas tree, because after all, neither of our two kids are coming home for Christmas. It would be more enjoyable, but I will get out the old, probably very dusty and considerably flat 20-something year-old fake tree, and decorate it. But, NO CHRISTMAS TREE? NOT DECORATE AT ALL? What kind of Scroogey people are these people? In fact, Grandma even asked if we put up a tree before we had kids - of course we put up a tree before we had kids - we WERE kids before we had kids (hee hee). And as far as I'm concerned, I'm STILL a kid deep down. I guess that's why I'm a bit disturbed by the whole idea of not decorating. If I didn't put my decorations up, it would be like going to someone's home and not visiting with them. I need to "visit with" my Christmas decorations every December. I would miss them if I didn't. So many memories are asleep in those boxes, wrapped in the paper and excelsior, waiting for the week after Thanksgiving when I will awaken them and put them in their accustomed places, while the favorite carols are playing, and the rich aroma of spiced cider is wafting through the house. How could I simply skip all of that? IMPOSSIBLE!

I know they meant well - they probably wanted to spare me all the "hard work", knowing that I would be coming back just a few days before going back to school. But that's okay. I'll make time. I just couldn't bear to skip all the wonder of Christmas decorating. I'd rather cut off all my hair! And we all know how I feel about my hair. Right? Right!

3 comments:

Erika said...

We could help you too! At least with setting up, since we will be at your place over Thanksgiving ;)

I'm hopping to get a mini tree this year by the way. There is no room for a large one in our tiny apartment, but I missed having one last year.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Er, but you did cut all your hair off once.

Anyway, yeah, John and Erika will be there and I just assumed you'd be going and cutting down a tree with them while they were there. Silly Daddy, what is he thinking?

You have to put up a tree and listen to the Elvis Christmas album and drink hot chocolate. Moral imperative. End of story.

:-D

danosgrammy said...

Thank you both for your affirmation. I was thinking the same thing, Erika! It would be fun for you and John to help me rediscover the "old" fake tree, that is if Dad doesn't change his mind and go get a real one.