Saturday, November 8, 2008

People Really Read This Stuff!!

Yessss!!!

I actually attracted some readers! Well, thank you very much, I know you are my children, and my friends, but it is very gratifying to know that someone cared enough to read my blog. You are right, Knitsational, it IS addicting.

I spent most of my Saturday looking online for materials for teaching my ESL classes what Veterans Day is all about. One doesn't think about it, how kids who didn't grow up in our culture know very little about our holidays. So Friday, when I was reminding them that we don't have school on Tuesday because of Veterans Day, most of them had no clue as to what Veterans Day celebrates. Believe me, after Monday in my class, that won't be the case anymore. I now have a plethora of activities and word puzzles to help them along. Plus, we will have vocabulary words all week associated with Veterans Day - beginning of course with the word "veteran"!!

I've been doing a lot of reading these past six months on what ESL students need the most, and vocabulary is one of their biggest needs. So that's what my classes are getting a LOT of this year. The trick is to teach it in an exciting and interesting manner, to keep them enjoying it, and to help them remember those words. Last week we did Hollywood Squares - remember that TV show? They LOVED it! Of course to them, it was merely Tic-Tac-Toe. hee hee!

Enough about work. Enough about everything. As usual, I got carried away again. I need to remember to keep these posts short and sweet. Or I'll lose the only 2 readers I have before I even get started. Sorry...

1 comment:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

As usual, I got carried away again. I need to remember to keep these posts short and sweet.

Sweet, yes, but that's a given ;-) But don't worry about getting windy -- in my experience, people will read long blog posts too. I'm not saying you should go on for page after page, but this entry was a completely acceptable length. Check out Larry's blog if you want to see some reeeeeally long ones :-D